Monday, April 4, 2011

Breakdown

Fuck. Fuck Fuck Fuck.

Throughout the night its curiosity stopped… it’s slowly progressed from gently prodding to stabbing about in search for some weak point, and then when that didn’t work it switched again to slamming on the sliding glass doors trying outright to break them down. It wasn’t much at first, oh sure the sight of it pounding on the windows was unsettling, but then everything involving this thing is. I closed the blinds and walked into the other room. But then… then I heard a small crack.



I went back to the window and threw open the blinds, and there beneath one of many, many, arms was a small hairline fracture. And of course it looked oh so pleased with itself. Stood there bent backwards at the torso, twisting around so its absent face was right there at the crack it had created. And it continued.


More force, faster, and with so many more arms it pounded on the window, slamming, slamming, slamming, until even more of the tiny cracks appeared, each one accented by a small shattering sound that may as well have been my sanity. I pulled back towards Henry, who was still sitting in the middle of the room keeping this thing up, sweat now drowning down his face and shivering harder still. I grabbed Sara who was just sitting at the kitchen table staring blankly into to space, and together the three of us huddled in the center of the room where the air was thickest and protection the strongest. And I watched, the only one of us truly conscious, as the window weakened more and more. As hairline fractures turned to tiny points of impact, as those little circular indentations broke into small craters. And finally as the craters started to grow larger and larger and larger until they obscured all vision of what lay beyond. The glass doors shattered, ten thousand tiny shards flying every direction and wailing against each other. It stepped inside and made towards us… and then it just stopped.

Henry must have pulled the barrier in or… or something. I honestly couldn’t tell you. But it’s inside the room now just standing with too many arms flung about the room grasping at the edge of our bubble, just waiting until Henry can’t keep this up any longer. I think we’re going to have to make a run for it… I mean we can’t just stay here.

I… I don’t know maybe Henry can shift our protection into a wall to buy us time to run away… I hope he can. I hope that that’s possible, that Henry has enough in him to manage it… that I can even get through to him without causing everything to collapse…

If you all never hear from me again… from either of us…
I’m sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment